- Cant create crisp, bold, smooth graphics
- Enlarging - Suffers from alialising or blurred appearance when enlarged
- Pixels or squares make a jaggie stair-step appearance.
- Reduction of image can result in interpolation or indiscriminate discarding of pixels.
- Require huge amounts of memory. Usually larger than a vector file, this means they should be compressed to store.
- Slows down the reading, rendering and printing
- Primarily used working with photographs and other realistic image
- Can modify individual pixels or large groups of pixels.
- Data compression can shrink the size of the pixel data.